Hudson Valley Teen Accidentally Fatally Shoots Himself, Cops Say
It appears a Hudson Valley teen lost his life by accidentally shooting himself in the head.
Last Friday around 7:45 p.m, members from the Putnam County Sheriff's Department responded to a radio run of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head of a 17-year-old man at a home on Ridge Avenue in Putnam Valley.
Another teen called 911 to report that his friend had accidentally shot himself, police say.
Upon arrival, deputies observed 17-year-old Elias Knapp with an apparent gunshot wound to his head, according to police. Three friends of the victim were also present.
Deputies along with EMS and a Medic assisted in administering aid to the teen who was still breathing.
The teen was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center.
Knapp, who lived at the home, later died from his injuries, police announced while speaking about the shooting for the first time in a press release Thursday afternoon.
Knapp attended Putnam Valley High School, according to a post on the school district's website.
The shooting remains under investigation by investigators from the Putnam County Sheriff’s Department.
Our thoughts are with Knapp's family and friends.
- Hudson Valley Schools Placed on Lockdown After Threatening video
- Beautiful Hudson Valley Private Island Home Now For Sale
- Young Man Killed While Skiing in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Woman Accused of Trying to Build Pond in Yard
- Hudson Valley Rallies Behind Teen Fighting For His Life
- Winter Weather Advisory Issued For Parts of Hudson Valley
- NYSP: Firefighter, Police Part Of Huge Hudson Valley Drug Ring
- Award-Winning Restaurant Plans Major Expansion in Hudson Valley
- Gunman On the Run After 2 Shot Near Hudson Valley School
- Politician Accused of 'Psychologically Abusing' Pregnant Wife
- Hudson Valley Father of 4 Killed in Alaska, Family Could Use Help
- Woman Dies After Falling Into Freezing Hudson River
- Child Nearly Kidnapped Walking Dog in Hudson Valley, Police Say
- Tire-Gashing Devices Found on Streets in Hudson Valley