13 Children Of Fallen 9/11 Heroes Will Join FDNY This Month
As people all over our area remember the 18th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, the children of firefighters who died that day are following in their fathers' footsteps.
Each year on 9/11 we remember all the first responders who went into those buildings as everyone else was trying to get out, well it looks like their legacy will not be forgotten anytime soon.
The newest class of New York City firefighters will graduate later this month, and there are 13 of them who are children of firefighters who we lost on 9/11.
This is the most "legacy" graduates that one class has had, and it makes perfect sense since it's the 18th Anniversary of the attacks, and many of those firefighters sons and daughters are now in their early or mid 20's.
In addition to those 13, there are at least three more "legacy" graduates who are children of other first responders who died, including the son of an NYPD officer, and the sons of two firefighters who died due to illness linked to their rescue and recovery work at Ground Zero.
New York City Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro told post.com his thoughts on these "legacy" graduates:
Bravery runs in these extraordinary families who have sacrificed so much for our city. I’m proud of the commitment these probies have already demonstrated to the department and look forward to celebrating with them at their graduation.
Gerard Fitzgerald, president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association, also commented on this current graduating class:
I think it’s a great tribute to their dads, it’s quite inspirational to hear that they’re following in their fathers’ footsteps.
The FDNY graduation will take place on September 24th, here's a list of those who will be taking over where their dads left off.
- Matthew Jovic, son of Lt. Anthony Jovic, of Engine Co. 279, Brooklyn
- Peter J. Carroll, son of Peter Carroll, FDNY Squad 1, Brooklyn
- Scott B. Larsen, son of Scott Andrew Larsen‚ Ladder 163, Queens
- Gregory Kumpel, son of Kenneth B. Kumpel, Ladder Co. 25, Manhattan
- Brendan Regan, son of Lt. Rober Regan, Engine 205/Ladder 118, Brooklyn
- James Foti, son of Robert Joseph Foti of Ladder Co. 7, Manhattan
- John C. Fischer, son of Capt. John R. Fischer, Ladder 20, SoHo
- Manny Mojica, son of Manuel Mojica Jr.‚ Squad 18, Manhattan
- Michael Florio, son of John Joseph Florio, Engine 214, Brooklyn
- Marc Asaro, son, and Rebecca Asaro, daughter of Carl Asaro, Engine 54/Ladder 4, Manhattan
- John R. Leahy, son of NYPD Officer James P. Leahy, 6th Precinct, Greenwich Village
- Robert Tilearcio Jr., son of Robert Tilearcio Sr., Engine 266, Far Rockaway, who died of brain cancer in 2017