Science Experiment Gone Wrong Causes Danbury House Fire
A 14-year-old girl and her Mother were taken and treated for smoke inhalation at Danbury Hospital after a school science experiment went horribly wrong and set fire to their house.
Danbury Firefighters responded to an emergency call about a house fire at 26 East Pembroke Road about 11:30 am Monday morning. When they arrived, they found the home's first floor totally engulfed in flames.
Danbury Assistant Fire Chief Mark Omasta told newstimes.com:
The flames were extinguished before they could reach the second floor, but the first floor suffered significant fire damage, while the second floor has smoke damage, however the family will not be able to move back into the home anytime soon, the house needs extensive renovation.
According to friends of the family the mother and her 14-year-old daughter were conducting a home school science experiment when something went wrong igniting the fire.
Christine Kennedy is a good family friend and told us about what the family is going through since the fire:
They lost everything, it will be a while before they can get back into their house. It's a miracle the family was unhurt, but they now face a major rebuilding project. Plus the family now has to stay at a hotel in Southbury.
Christine has set up a Go-Fund-Me page where you can donate to help out the family.
Any donation made will go to the Shabaz-Williams family who lost everything in the fire.
Read More Local Stories:
- The Story of the Town That Sits at the Bottom of Candlewood Lake
- 5 Strange Laws Actually on the Books in Connecticut
- Five Things Everyone From Danbury Already Knows