How Many Sunny Days Do We Actually Get a Year in Connecticut?
With all the bad weather we have been getting over the last few months, I'm sure you're wondering how many sunny days we actualy get here in Connecticut.
A few years back, when we were having another spring from hell, I started to wonder how many sunny days we actually get in a given year. I mean, it seems like for every nice day or two that we actually do get, there's a week or so of rain and cloudy weather that follows.
Like you, I was completely fed up with spring in the Northeast, so I did some investigating. The results may shock you.
I found a chart that measures the average number of sunny hours a city has in a normal year, and clear days, which is the average number of days annually when clouds cover no more than 30% of the sky during daylight hours. Here's what I found out about Connecticut, as represented by stats from Hartford:
Hartford, Connecticut: 2585 Sunny Hours, 82 Clear Days a Year
Compare that with the top spot in the U.S.
Phoenix, Arizona: 3872 Sunny Hours, 211 Clear Days a Year
Now, it could be worse, check out these stats for the bottom spot on the list:
Buffalo, New York: 2207 Sunny Hours, 54 Clear Days a Year
Bboth Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with 2021 sunny hours and Seattle, Washington at 2170 sunny hours were actually less then Buffalo, but each had slightly more Sunny Days.
So, you see, you're not crazy, we don't get all that much sunshine around these parts during the course of a year. When you see a nice day, soak it all in.
Read More Local Stories:
- National Weather Service Confirms Macroburst Hit Brookfield
- Mayor Mark on Danbury's Power Restoration, Injuries, Storm Damage
- A List of Storm Shelters Now Open in Greater Danbury
- Listeners Share Their Devastating Storm Experiences [GALLERY]
- Danbury, Brookfield Police Departments Issue Statements On Storm
- Severe Storm in Greater Danbury Causes Extreme Chaos
- New Fairfield Looked Like a War Zone in the Storm's Aftermath
Bonus Video: Exploring the New Fitness Trail at Rogers Park in Danbury:
Who's Your Country Star 'Hall Pass?' Local Fans Weigh-In: